Tuesday, July 6, 2010

High on a Mountain Top

Today I officially registered and paid for my 5K on Saturday, which cements the fact that I really am going to run the thing.  This afternoon, I was really excited about running, so I got online and dutifully mapped out a route that would be a bit more than a 5K for my workout today so that I could reassure myself that I could finish a 5K.

Google maps can be quite misleading as to terrain.  The route I took today was absolutely GORGEOUS, and I had never been running (or even driving) on a lot of the roads entailed before.  Not only that, but it worked out to 3.2 miles, which is almost perfectly a 5K distance.  The downside, is how much UP there was.  It was ridiculously uphill.  The first little hills were pretty tame, and pretty short, so I just took them at a slow jog, told myself encouraging things, and sucked it up.  Oh boy, but by the time I got about half-way up the hill, I hated my life.  I stopped twice to take pictures both because I couldn't believe how high up I had climbed and because I needed the rest.

This first picture is from almost the highest point of where I ran today - it was almost level with the Y on Y mountain.  Ridiculous.


This is after a slight downhill bit, looking DOWN on the Provo Temple. 


Pretty views, though.  I ran 3.2 miles in about 45 minutes, counting all the stops I took to complain to the mountains about how steep and ridiculous they were.

I feel great, though, and on my way home, one of my miles was in 11:06!  I've never run a mile that fast before!  So yes let us embrace this minor victory and remember to look at altitude when you're mapping a new run.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Those are beautiful pictures, and you are doing so, so well with the running thing. Rock on, sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! This is one of my favorite places to run in all of Utah Valley! I can't wait for Saturday.

    ReplyDelete