Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 5: New Milestones

Technically, it's the second milestone, because I broke two miles!  Also, I started week 2.  The for real week 2. I will probably still stick to it for three days just because, but it wasn't any harder to start out than week 1, day 1.    If the first day of the new week doesn't feel any more challenging than the first day of the previous week, I'll take it that I'm ready to move forward.

I feel so great after running now that I look forward to it at the end of the day.  I used to love working out in the morning because then I get to enjoy that "I worked out already" feeling all day long, but working out in the evenings has its perks, too.  Usually I'm really stressed out at the end of the day, and running is a nice way to get out all that stress.  In short, I don't think that people sing the praises of evening workouts nearly enough.

That said, I was exhausted already when I started on the treadmill yesterday.  I had an hour and a half of physical therapy in the afternoon, which really took it out of me.  Then AFTER the gym, I went ice skating with my roommates for two hours at the Peaks.  I slept like a baby last night...

I have been going to a physical therapist for a rotator cuff impingement for the past month or so, and I have seen huge improvements from such minor changes in my life.  I used to think you had to kill yourself in the gym to get results, and maybe to get fast ones you do, but going to the physical therapist for this time has proven me wrong.  Six weeks ago I went to the doctor for shoulder pain, which is saying something, because I avoid doctors at all costs.  It had escalated to the point that I couldn't even erase a chalk board or plug in my computer without yelping with pain.  Now I can do all of those things with just a small amount of discomfort, and all I did was fifteen or twenty minutes of simple exercises every day.  Consistency, folks.  That's the SECRET!

Anyhow, I'm proud of myself for making it to the two mile mark, and proud of not quitting yet.  Also, I'm proud of making it to week two.  I've never made it this far in the program before, so yeah it's a major accomplishment.

Day 5:
5 minutes walking
90 seconds jogging (4.1 mph) - I actually went 4.5 mph for part of this because I was watching a zumba class in the next room...
120 seconds walking (3.1 mph)
(repeat until minute 35)
Time: 35 minutes
Distance: 2.01 miles
Total Distance:  9.91 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment