Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 9: The Perfect Hobby

Running is the perfect hobby because it's healthy, it only takes up 90 minutes out of the whole week, it's time to myself where I don't have to think about anything in particular, and it's completely, totally, and blissfully unrelated to what I do all day.

I didn't get a chance to update Monday because this week is insane.  I did run on Monday, though.  Looking forward to running is actually what got me through my day, in fact.

The run was challenging.  I think ramping up the speed to 5.0 mph was a little bit too intense, but even at that, I made it through the whole thing, except I slowed down the pace near the end because my calves started burning something awful.  No, seriously, I suspected I had given myself shin splints again.  Except not, because after I stretched my legs felt fine again, like I could run another couple of miles.

When I run this afternoon I plan to run at my usual 4.5 mph during the first half of the workout, and possibly move up to 4.6 or  4.7 during the last half.  I feel like speed would be better at the end than at the beginning anyway.

My workout Monday was:
Week 3, Day 2
1.73 miles in 28 minutes, 2.0% incline
5 minute warmup (3.5 mph)
90 seconds running (5.0 mph)
90 seconds walking (3.5 mph)
3 minutes running

3 minutes walking
(repeat 2x)
5 minutes of walking (cool-down) - 3.3 mph
Total Distance: 17.03 miles

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you've found something that really works for you, an exercise niche that fits, and that is awesome! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete