Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 8: Knowing My Strength

It would appear that I have once again underestimated myself.  I was iffy about week 3, but told myself that I would try it anyway.  I kept comforting myself and saying, "If this gets too hard, you can always just go back to week 2..."  And then before I even realized it, my phone chimed and said, "Workout complete."

Don't get me wrong.  There were challenging bits.  My new strategy is to just keep going and listening to my music and concentrating on the running, not the time.  Especially since now I don't HAVE to worry about the time.

Maybe next week if I feel frisky I may try to increase my pace a little bit next, maybe just for the last half of my workouts.  I actually think it might be LESS rough on my knees to run a little faster.  I find that when I'm not thinking about it and running comfortably, I'm outrunning the treadmill, so that might be a sign.

Week 3 is a little shorter of a workout than the previous weeks (28 rather than 29 minutes) so I'm not going as far...  But soon I will be going further and longer and faster and better and it will be glorious.  Look for an entry soon about shoes and shoe shopping, because I'm going to do that soon as a reward for making so much progress.

I never thought I'd be able to jog for three straight minutes.  This program is truly showing me just how strong I am.

My workout Friday was:
Week 3, Day 1
1.75 miles in 28 minutes, 2.0% incline
5 minute warmup (3.5 mph)
90 seconds running (4.5 mph)
90 seconds walking (3.5 mph)
3 minutes running

3 minutes walking
(repeat 2x)
5 minutes of walking (cool-down)
Total Distance: 15.30 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment